Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Racing Mind

I read somewhere that we humans use only 10% of our brain potential. Not surprising, considering the sedentary lifestyles that most of us lead. I mean, writing these posts is probably the only time when my brain is required to weigh in, and maybe the odd day when I play chess. I had realised long back that brains are not required to earn a good living. At the most, mental capabilities are just a useful accessory, to be shown of in the guise of graduate and postgraduate degrees and GMAT scores (mine’s 730- 97th percentile :) ). As useful as an aquarium in a palatial house.

But today, I caught my mind racing. It all happened like this. I had gone to this bakery to catch an after-jogging snack. When I returned home and got out of my car, my wallet was missing and I thought.

Shit! Did I leave it at the counter while paying for the snack? Or did I leave it at the table? Or did it fall out of my trackpants while I getting into the car? That would be bad. Man, I will never use these tracks again, its pockets suck! I need to block my debit cards and credit cards. Fuck, both my bike and car licenses are in the wallet. Ok, now should I run back to the bakery, or take my car or my bike? Shit, I need to pick up Raghu from the airport tonight. Should I drive without a license on me? Or should I call him and tell him to find his own way home? Should I call my mom in Chennai about this? Fuck! I had close to 2000 bucks in there! Oh my god! Where’s my mobile? Don’t tell me I’ve lost that too. Oh right, its at home, I didn’t take it with me when I went for the jog, thank god!

Not bad, huh? My mind was practically racing at full speed as I was searching frantically inside the car for my wallet in the hope that it would be inside the car somewhere. I found it, of course, wedged between the door and the floor of the car. I heaved a huge sigh of relief, kissed the wallet, considered whether to leave the driving license inside the car and ruled it out.

I slipped the wallet back into the pockets of my tracks and stepped into my home.

No comments: